General Information for Police Officer Candidates
Signing Bonus: $10,000
The Paris Police Department operates under Texas Government Code 143, commonly known as Civil Service. An entrance examination is given to establish an eligibility list. Candidates are ranked on the list according to the passing score on the written examination along with preference points. Five points, called veteran preference points, are added to the passing score of those veterans who have provided a copy of the form DD214 with their application to test. The DD214 must list an honorable discharge.
The department offers a $10,000.00 hiring bonus for all successful appointment of applicants in three installments;
- $3,500.00 at time of appointment
- $3,000.00 upon successful completion of the Field Training Program
- $3,500.00 upon successful completion of the probationary employment period
Applicants are eligible for a $1,000.00 reimbursement for documented moving expenses for those who relocate from more than one hour’s driving distance from Paris.
Experienced Certified Peace Officers are eligible for Lateral Seniority Pay to align base salary with previous law enforcement experience.
Starting pay for an officer is $52,000 per year. Officers also earn additional pay for TCOLE Peace Officer Certification Levels, Seniority Pay, Longevity Pay and Assignment Pay.
Civil Service entry-level Police Officer test announcement
An examination will be held at the Paris Police Department, 2910 Clarksville Street, Paris, TX, for the position of Police Officer in the Paris Police Department on July 11th, 2023.
Applications are always available and accepted. Applications will be accepted for the July 11 test date until 5:00 p.m., Thursday, July 6, 2023.
The application to test may be obtained in the Civil Service Director’s office or the Paris Police Station or by clicking here. The completed application has to be returned to the Civil Service Director at City Hall, 135 SE 1st Street, Paris, TX 75460, at any time when there is not a test scheduled. If there is a test scheduled, there will be an application closing date posted.
Applications may also be obtained by calling Sandy Collard, Civil Service Director, at 903-784-9272 or by clicking here to send an email. If the candidate is a veteran, for veteran preference points and to comply with TCOLE rules, a copy of the DD214 form must be submitted with the application or prior to the test. A photo identification card, such as a state driver’s license or military identification card, is required to take the test. Evidence of a peace officer license has to be presented prior to the test for certified officer preference.
A physical assessment will take place immediately following the written exam.
Employment requirements for the position of Police Officer
- Be a Citizen of the United States
- At least 21 and less than 45 years of age. Applicants 18-20 years of age with 60 hours of college or 2 years of military duty with an honorable discharge are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be able to read and write the English language.
- Valid Driver’s License with a good driving record.
- Be of good moral character with no felony convictions and must meet all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future licensing by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education
- Applicants who are veterans of any branch of the United States Armed Services are eligible for preference points provided they receive a passing grade and show proof of an honorable discharge;
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- Candidates must meet all requirements set forth in the state of Texas Occupations code 1701.00.
- Candidates must live within one hour travel time to the downtown of Paris, Texas.
- Candidates must meet all academic, physical, medical and psychological requirements and make timely appearances at appointments.